Latest News‎ > ‎

IFC Kilmore V Creggs 18th August 2018

posted 19 Aug 2018, 17:14 by Brian Carroll

Creggs 3-5  Kilmore 2-17

Kilmore got their first win of the 2018 Intermediate championship when they defeated Creggs on Saturday evening last. The home side started the brightest and with less than 60 seconds on the clock Creggs took the lead with a point from Ronan Dowd after he won the ball in midfield and ran at the Kilmore defence and sent the ball over the bar. This was to be the only time the home side would lead in the game as the visitors hit back with a Derek Connellan free followed by a good point from play from Colman Earley after good work from John Gannon. An Enda O Rourke free had the sides level again before a Derek Connellan free pushed Kilmore ahead again on 11 minutes. Then in the 12th minute Derek Connellan won a kick out and ran 35 yards and laid off the ball to his brother Gary Connellan who finished well to the back of the Creggs net. Creggs replied well with a Mark Brandon free but that was to be Creggs last score of the 1st half as Kilmore dominated the remaining 15 minutes by hitting 5 points without reply. The next 2 scores were 2 frees from the acurate boot of Derek Connellan followed by John Gannon and Brian Connellan adding a point each from play. Derek Connellan then rounded of the scoring in the first half when he fisted over the bar to send Kilmore in at half time leading 1-8 to 0-3. The black clouds that had been hovering above in the 1st half opened up in the second half as heavy rain fell for the rest of the game. Derek Connellan and Mark Brandon exchanged points from frees early in the second half. 7 minutes into the second half John Gannon received a quick free, turned his man and kicked one of the best scores of the game. John Gannon added his 3rd point of the game from play in the 8th minute and a minute later Brian Connellan got his second point of the day. On 11 minutes Kilmore added their second goal of the game, John Gannon won the ball well, and combined with Colman Ealrey and Darragh Feely who flicked it to Derek Connellan who went around the the Creggs goalkeeper and smashed the ball to the net. On 14 minutes Derek Connellan added another point from play. On 16 minutes Creggs hit back with a high ball into the full forward line was won by Enda Conneran who turned and finished the ball well into the back of the Kilmore net. Gary Connellan responded for Kilmore with a well taken point. Creggs came back at Kilmore again and got their second goal of the game, a Mark Brandon free was blocked but the rebound was smashed to the next by Enda O Rourke. Creggs were now testing the Kilmore full back line and they added a 3rd goal on 24 minutes when a shot from Kevin Gavin ended up dropping into the Kilmore net. John gannon replied with a point from play for Kilmore and this was followed up by a free from Colman Earley. Kevin Gavin put over a very good point for Creggs late on and Kilmores John Gannon rounded off the scoring with a well taken point from play. 

Best for Kilmore was Mark Connellan, John Gannon, Kevin Caslin and Derek connellan, for Creggs Ronan Dowd, Enda O Rourke and Enda Conneran tried very hard. 

Creggs Eugene Fleming, James Brandon, Kieran Dowd, Cian Gately, Paul Brandon, Tom Fleming, Matthew Browne, James McKeague, Ronan Dowd (0-1), Sean Dermody, Mark Brandon (0-2), Enda O Rourke (1-1), Kevin Gavin (1-1), Enda Conneran (1-0), Noel Gately. Subs used Conor Gore for Matthew Browne, Padraig Gaffey for Sean Dermody, Owen Conneran for Cian Gately, Kevin Raftery for Noel Gately, John Keegan for Kevin Gavin and Ciaran Browne for Mark Brandon.

Kilmore Ollie Burke, Charlie Burke, Jack Sharkey, Mark Connellan, Gary Connellan (1-1), Colm Garvey, Joe Garvey, Dermot Foley, Derek Connellan (1-7), Brian Connellan (0-2), Darragh Feely, Ray Caslin, Colman Earley (0-2), John Gannon (0-5), Kevin Caslin. Subs used Liam Caslin for Colm Garvey, Cathal Carney for Colman Earley.