Latest News‎ > ‎

Sundays Club Championship Round-Up

posted 13 Nov 2011, 12:21 by Unknown user   [ updated 13 Nov 2011, 12:21 by Colm Beirne ]

AIB Leinster Club Championship Round 1
Athy (Kildare) 1-08  Edenderry (Offaly) 1-5, Newbridge
A scrappy game in the first half with Athy clocking up 9 wides, four of them coming from frees and Edenderry led by 0-2 to 1-2 at the break.
However the Kildare side came out in the second half and managed to get on top of things. Edenderry had a lean spell in front of the posts for almost 26 minutes and that proved costly. The game was put beyond doubt when the Kildare boys scored a fine goal from Danny O’Keeffe in the closing stages to help them through.

Summerhill (Meath) 0-11  St Brigid's (Dublin) 2-15, Navan

St Brigid’s of Dublin were never in doubt in this encounter and it was helped by the two goals coming mid way through the first half. Ken Kilmurray’s goal after 16 minutes and then just four minutes later as All-Ireland winner Barry Cahill finished off a slick move to score Brigid’s second goal of the game. 2-7 to 0-4 points was the half time score.

The Meath side shortened the gap to six after a flurry of points the best coming from Bobby Lyons. But the side from the capital took control of the game after two fine points from Philly Ryan who has played a massive part in the Brigid’s attack.

Portlaoise (Laois) 2-12 St Patrick's (Louth) 1-14 AET, Portlaoise

Extra time was needed in this game to separate the sides. Paddy Keenan levelled the score with the last kick of the game to leave the it 1-9 to 0-12.
Portlaoise were down a man after Brian Mulligan was sent off but it they did not stop battling throughout normal time. But they managed to get the only goal of the 60 minutes through captain Craig Rogers.
Both sides exchanged points and goals in extra time but the Laois side managed to hang on. Again it was Rogers who was involved as he was brought down for a penalty and stepped up to finish off the stop kick himself.

AIB Leinster Club Championship Quarter Final

Garrycastle (Westmeath) 4-11 Longford Slashers (Longford) 1-6, Mullingar.

It was all Garrycastle in the first half as they took control in the early stages of the game and never looked back but the game never really kicked into life until the second half. Martin Nevlin gave Slashers some hope of a comeback with a great goal for his side and it looked like Garrycastle were rattled .

But two goals in the second half, the better of the two, coming from Alan Daly with his close range effort made sure that the Westhmeath side were going through looking to become the first team from their county to win the title.

AIB Ulster Club Championship Quarter Final
Roslea (Fermanagh) 2-05 Burren (Down) 1-15, Enniskillen
Glenswilly (Donegal) 0-09 Latton (Monaghan) 0-10, Ballybofey

AIB Ulster Club Championship Semi Final
Ballinderry (Derry) 1-10 Crossmaglen Rangers (Armagh) 0-17, Casement Park

Crossmaglen looked up from the outset of the game and it showed with a four point lead within four minutes of the start. That set the tone for the game and they led going in at the break.
Things got worse for Ballinderry Martin Harney was sent off for his second yellow but it did not stop them.
Cormac Gillian’s second half penalty was the spearhead of a great comeback by 14 man Ballinderry and they came within a point of Cross but it was not enough. A great performance from Oisin McConville, who lead the way, made sure that Cross hung on.

Wexford SFC Final
Rathnew 0-10 St Mary’s 2-5, Aughrim.
Paddy Byrne’s double goal strike in the first half was the difference and proved vital come the final whistle.

Munster Club Championship Semi Final

Ballygunner (Waterford) 0-12 Na Piarsaigh (Limerick) 3-9, 2.0, Walsh Park

An inspirational turnaround from the Limerick side as they trailed by 0-10 to 0-4 at the interval. Ballygunner were in complete control through the first half and even extended their lead after the break with a point from Padraig Mahoney but up step Shane Downing for Na Piarsaigh.
A second half total of 2-3 coming from Downing turned this game on its head and it only looked to be one winner on the cards.
There was only a point separting the teams heading into the final stages but a Pat Glesson point and a late David Breen goal helped Na Piarsaigh edge out with a six point victory and march into the final in three weeks time.

Carrigtwohill (Cork) 1-10 Crusheen (Clare)0-19, 2.0, Pairc Ui Chaoimh

From reading the first half play, Carrigtwohill looked to be the side most likely to be progessing to the Munster Club Hurling Final but like the corresponding semi final the second half played a massive part in the final outcome.
Points from Niall McCarthy, Stephen Dineen and Michael Fitzgerald gave the Cork side a good platform to lead on from. Points from Crusheen’s David Forde and Pat Vaughan kept the Clare side in the game.
Crusheen exploded out from the second half and Gearoid O’Donnell and Forde chipped in with points to turn this game around. A total of five points from Vaughan and three from Jamie Fitzgibbon and not even a late goal from Carrigtwohill’s Michael Fitzgerald could prevent the Clare side heading to the final.

Leinster Club Championship Semi Final

Oulart-The Ballagh (Wexford) 3-12 Clough-Ballacolla (Laois)2-11, Wexford, 2.30

Ballyboden St Enda's (Dublin) 0-15 Coolderry (Offaly)1-18, Parnell Park, 2.30

Coolderry are through to their first provincial decider since 1980 and the result was never in doubt from the 21st minute onwards. Eoin Ryan struck four points from play in to help his side build on their early lead.
Ballyboden came out in the second half trying to make a game of it but failed to cause any real damage to the Offaly champions as they never looked in any trouble and that showed as they comfortably played ou the second half.